Unit 17 Great women
i heard of his death with profound/deep/great regret.
我聽到他去世的消息感到萬分悲痛
much to my regret, i am unable to accept your invitation.
很抱歉,我不能接受你的邀請.
i have no regrets about leaving. 對離去,我后悔
if you go now, you’ll regret it. 如果你現在走了,你會后悔的.
i regret that i cannot help.很抱歉,我愛莫能助.
it is to be regretted that…. 遺憾地是….
i regret what i said. 我很后悔我所說的話.
i regret to say the job has been filled.我很遺憾地說/十分抱歉, 那工作已經有人做了.
his death was regretted by all.他的死大家都很悲痛.
10. climate
a tropical climate熱帶性氣候
he could not stand that terrible english climate.他無法忍受那可怕的英國氣候.
the climate of italy is milder than that of britain. 意大利的氣候比英國的溫和.
she moved to a warmer climate.她搬到了較溫和的地區去了.
the doctor advised him to a drier climate.醫生勸他去氣候較干燥的地區.
the weather is good today. 今天天氣很好.
in clear weather we can see the island from here.
天氣晴朗的時候我們能從這里看到那個島.
11. value (v/n) a) estimate the money value of sth valuable (adj)
he valued the house for me at $100000.
b). have a high opinion of sth/sb 重視某人/某物
value sb’s advice 重視某人的勸告
value truth above all else把真理看得比什么都重要
a valued customer 重要的顧客
do you value her as a friend? 你把她當好朋友嗎?
be of great/little/some /no value to sb
對某人有很大/沒什么/有一些/毫無幫助
12. bother (v/n)cause trouble or annoyance to sb; pester sb.
i’m sorry to bother you, but could you tell me the way to the station?
對不起打擾你一下,請問去車站怎么走?
does the pain from your operation bother you much?你手術后疼得很難受嗎?
does my smoking bother you?我抽煙影響你嗎?
don’t bother your father (about it) now; he iw very tired.別打攪你爸爸.他很累.
he is always bothering me to lend him money.他老是纏著我借錢給他.
what is bothering you?你愁什么呢?
the problem has been bothering me for weeks.這問題已困擾我好幾個星期了.
it bothers me that he can be so insensitive.他這樣麻木不仁,我心里很不痛快.
shall i help you with the washing up? ----- don’t bother----i’ll do it later.
要不要我幫你洗碗?不用了,我等會洗
he didn’t even bother to say thank you.他甚至連一個謝字也不說.
bother about sb/sth concern oneself about sb/sth關心某人/某事
don’t bother about us -------we’ll join you later.
bother oneself/one’s head about sth be anxious or concerned about sth
為某事焦慮/操心
can’t be bothered (to do sth) 嫌麻煩而不干/偷懶
the grass needs cutting but i can’t be bothered to do it today.
草得剪剪了,但我今天卻懶得剪.