Unit 12 You are supposed to shake hands
we are not to supposed to play football on sunday.
不準我們在星期日踢足球.
this is secret and i’m not supposed to talk about it.
這是秘密,我不應該談論
she is late for class again and she is supposed to say sorry to the teacher.
她又遲到了,她應該向老師說對不起.
2. bow
動詞,鞠躬,彎腰.如:
bow to the queen.
向女王鞠躬致敬.
at the end of the play all the actors came onto the stage and bowed.
終場時,全體演員都走到臺前鞠躬致謝.
he bowed his thanks.
他鞠躬致謝.
2a
3. greet =to welcome or say “hello”,動詞,問候,打招呼.如:
he greeted her by saying “good morning”
他象她打招呼說 “早上好”.
she greeted me with a friendly smile.
她向我微笑致意.
a beautiful view greeted us.
美麗的景色呈現在我們面前.
3a
4. where i’m from, we are pretty relaxed about time.
我來的那個地方對時間非常放松.
句子中的 “where i’m from” 是一個由 “where” 引導的地點狀語從句.引導地點狀語從句的副詞除了where 還有wherever.如:
just stay where you are.
就留在你原來的地方.
wherever you are, you can see new factories and stories, new schools and hospitals.
無論你走到哪里,你都能見到新建的工廠,商店,學校和醫院.
5. we are the land of watches, after all!
畢竟我們是手表王國.
(1) 句中的land 是一個名詞, “國家” “國土”的意思.如:
after living in foreign lands for many years, the man went back home.
在外國居住了多年之后,這個人回到了自己的祖國.
land 還可以表示 “陸地” “土壤” “土地”等意思.如
we traveled by land until we reached the sea.
我們在陸路旅行,一直到大海.
(2)句子中的詞組 “after all’’ 意思是 “畢竟”.如:
so you see, i was right after all.
你看,畢竟還是我對吧.
you decided to come after all.
你畢竟還是決定來了.
section b
1. in china ,you’re not supposed to pick up your bowl of rice.
在中國,你不應該端起你的飯碗.
pick up, “撿起;拾起;拿起”.如:
a girl picked up a wallet on her way home.
一個小女孩在回家的路上撿到了一個錢包.
the phone stopped ringing just as i picked up the receiver.
我一拿起聽筒,電話就不響了.
pick those things up off the floor!
撿起地板上的東西.
2. in brazil, you should wipe your mouth with your napkin every time you take a drink.
在巴西,每次喝完東西后你應該用餐巾紙擦嘴.
wipe 動詞,意思是 “擦,擦去.” 常與away, off, up 連用,表示“擦干凈’’.如:
wipe the dirt off your shoes.
抹去鞋上的污泥.
wipe up the milk you spilled, please.
請抹掉灑出來的牛奶.
3. to stick your chopsticks into your food.
把筷子插入你的食物中.
(1) stick 動詞, “刺,插入”如:
stick a fork into the meat to see if it’s ready.
將叉插進肉里看熟了沒有.
i can’t move. there’s a piece of wire sticking in my leg.
我動不了啦,有一根金屬絲刺進我的腿里了.